During the Hungarian revolution in 1848, the old temple was ruined and the big preparations for building a new church have started in 1854. In 1856. The license was approved and people from Curug made contest regarding project for the new church. The project of army engineer Jozef Kraft was accepted. The church was built on September 28th, 1858 and it had only one tower. Two small towers were built afterwards, and their height was 32 m. The central tower was 55 m high and together they made an entity.
Iconostasis, with very important artistic value, was made by painter Djordje Krstic. The history of Curug’s bells is very long and interesting. In 1913, four bells were ordered from famous smelter Anton Novotni who lived in Timisoara. Four bells of extraordinary quality were smelted. The first and the third bell were removed from belfry and they were given for the war purposes in 1917. After war four new bells were made, but there was disharmony. The composer Isidor Bajic was invited to hear the bells ring and to give an advice in order to improve their sound. We can hear the sound of these bells even now in Curug. The bells were made by Predrag Jovanovic on June 24th 1931. There was a problem because the biggest bell had five tons, and it could not be easily allocated. Therefore the special carriers were built. The bell rang for the first time in 1934. The big bell with “counter G” sound and relief of St. George is the biggest bell on the Balkan’s peninsula.
Address: Trg slobode 1, Čurug
Tel: +381 (0) 21 834 145
The building of Saint Nicola’s church in Zabalj started after moving people from shores of Tisa to now day’s location in 1784. The church which we have now was built from 1832 till 1835. Zabalj and the holy temple were burnt during the rebellion in 1848. Rebuilt of the church started in 1851 and it was in baroque neo-classicistic style with semi-circle altar apsid. The temple is 36 m long and 12 m wide, with tower which is 53 m high. Iconostasis is made in art nouva style according to the drawing of architect Svetozar Ivackovic in 1884. Icons on iconostasis were painted on canvas by Jozef Gojgner, a painter from Veliki Beckerek (Zrenjanin) in 1885. The wall paintings were made by Dimitrije Ridjicki from Novi Sad in 1980. The Throne of Holy Mother Trojerucice decorates the interior of the church. The throne was made in engraving as an exemplar of medieval iconostasis by Branislav Nikolic from Kragujevac. The icon was made by nuns from monastery in Bodjani.
Address: Svetog Nikole 34, Žabalj
Tel: +381 (0) 830 100
The Catholics church in Zabalj was built in 1824 in honor to Virgin Mary. Even though the building of this church was proposed in report made by Archduke Ludvig in 1808 Mihajlo Cupor consecrated this church in 1826. This church was burnt during the rebellion from 1848 – 1849, but it was rebuilt afterwards. The first priest was Franc Sramko from 1824 – 1841.
Address: Svetog Nikole bb, Žabalj
This church was built in 1802. It was burnt like the other temples in 1848. Iconostasis was painted by Pavle Simic in 1859. The throne of Saint Mary and Arhijerevski throne were saved. The municipality of the church gave over the old iconostasis of Pavle Simic to Simeon Djakovic, hieromonk of monastery Zitomislic in 1810. The iconostasis that we have today, was made by Josif Nukic, carpenter from Novi Sad, in 1911. The most of icons were painted by Jovan Kesanski. The temple has valuable books. One of them is “Mec duhovni”, printed in Kiev-pecer lavra in 1666. This book is 350 years old. Other valuable books are “Zbornik” printed in Moscow in 1760 and “Minej” printed in Moscow in 1724.
Address: Svetosavska 22, Đurđevo
Tel: +381 (0) 21 839 022
The building of The birth of Holy Mary – Greek Catholic temple began in spring 1900 and was consecrated on Saint Michael’s Day the same year. The icons were made in Slovakia. The painting of interior was done in 1914 by A. Hodovanji, painter from Novi Sad. Refurbishment was done by Vasilije Ujfulasi from Djurdjevo. 16 new stained glass windows done by priest Mihajlo Holosnjaj are allocated to decorate the temple.
Address: Kralja Petra I 79, Djurdjevo
Tel: +381 (0) 21 293 957
This church was built in honor to Holy Mary. Even this place was named after her holiness. The temple was rebuilt in classicistic style after 1848. Iconostasis was made by Johan Kistner between 1860 and 1870. The gilding was made by Topfer from Vienna in the same period. Nikola Aleksic painted icons in 1855-1856. But, he made some changes in 1870. Icons were painted with oil paints on canvas which was later cover into wooden base. Wall paintings were also made by Nikola Aleksic between 1860 and 1872. The church has four bells from 1923.
Address: Kralja Petra I 13c, Gospođinci
Tel: +381 (0) 21 836 352
Today’s parochial Saint Archangel Michael’s temple is built in 1970 while priest Julijan Hornjak- Kuhara was in charge of parish. The Parochial home was built based on parish priest Joakim Holosnjaj’s iniciative in 2000. The most important cultural item is “Napristolno Jevandjelje” from the first Greek Catholic lodge of Saint wonder maker mir-likijski Nikolaj in Ruski Krstur built in 1752. The evangel, printed in Sinodal Moscow printing house as of first half of XIX century, was given as gift to Saint archangel Michael’s Church in Gospodjinci, after announcement of independent vicarage in 1934 in order to iniciate everyday service.
“Čuruška vodica”, with a chapel erected in 1920, is dedicated to St. Petka. The water of St. Petka in Čurug was created when a local woman dreamed of an acacia tree at the end of the village, with the icon of St. Petka on it. The saint told her to build a chapel on that place, because it is a holy place. In addition to the acacia tree, local worshipers built a house open to the acacia tree, with a wooden cross, dug a well and built a house for the guard. As predicted in the dream, the icon of St. Petka is placed on the acacia. A well was dug, with the water of which the believers washed themselves.
Address: Svetozara Miletića bb, Čurug